Saturday 16 April 2011

The SEO addiction

The problem with Search Engine Optimisation for Joe Bloggs is that it seems to be an unquantifiable phenomenon. There doesn't seem to be any right or wrong answers. I don't know how many times I've typed searches into Google to increase my page rank, moz rank, backlinks and hubspot score. I seem to gain a little each time, but I've not had any overwhelming results yet. It's a tedious, laborious exercise that shows very few tangible results.

I must admit, I'm despairing somewhat about the battle of the rankings in an effort to increase work. We have a steady stream of work which is great, but we also have visions of taking the business to the next level and going global (don't we all!).

One of the worst aspects about SEO research and work is the amount of spammy mail you end up getting in your inbox. I opened my mailbox this morning to find 37 messages from companies and individuals promising to get me to the number one spot on Google and other search engines, all for a price of course. I guess I could pay someone to do all the hard work, but I've learned so much that I now have this overwhelming urge to keep plugging at it in the hope that we'll get results.

The site currently ranks in the top 12.9% of all websites according to Alexa, so I suppose this is a result in itself. When we first started out, I think we were way down at 46% so improvement indeed.

It's important to remember as well that our main as Polaris Design is to create quality websites for our customers - which we continue to do, but this SEO bug seems to have taken hold and turned into an addiction. I'll probably spend the next 3 hours now scouring the internet in the hope of finding the answer to the elusive question - "how do I get to number 1 on Google?".

No comments:

Post a Comment